Content area link

Menu area link

Left_menu area link

Left_menu area

Cultural Tour

  • Home > Cultural Tour > Tourist Attractions > Seodaemun Prison History Hall
Seodaemun Prison History Hall

Content area

Seodaemun Prison History Hall
  • Seodaemun Prison History Hall
  • Seodaemun Prison (location: 247 Euiju-ro,
    Seodaemun-Gu) was the scene of suffering and
    hardships for
    many independence activists during the colonial period (1910-1945), as well as for opposition politicians after the liberation for about 80
  • 1908
  • The prison was built in 1908 under the name Gyeongseong Prison at the command of Japanese imperialists, who imprisoned many Korean independence activists there. After another prison was built in Gongdeok-dong, Mapo-gu to accommodate the increasing number of prisoners, this one was renamed Seodaemun Prison in September 1912.
  • 1923
  • After the country’s liberation, its name was changed several times, first to Seoul Prison (November 1945), followed by Seoul Correction Facility (December 1961), and Seoul Detention House (July 1967). In November 1987, Seoul Detention House was relocated to Euiwang, Gyeonggi-do. Finally, the institution became part of Seodaemun Independence Park, which was opened in August 1992.
  • 1987
  • The seven prison buildings, execution ground, and interrogation facility were restored in 1987. Prison buildings Nos. 10, 11, and 12 and the execution ground were collectively designated as Historic Site No. 324 in February 1988.
  • 1995
  • The Seodaemun-Gu Office initiated a project to transform Seodaemun Independence Park into a sanctuary in connection with the need to create an education space that would help Koreans uphold the sublime spirit of the independence activists who endured torture and sacrificed their lives and to arouse a spirit of self-reliance in the hearts of their descendants. Thus, the Seodaemun Prison History Hall was opened in November 1998.

※ Contact : Seodaemun-Gu City Management Corporation (☎ 02-360-8582)